The South Market District is at the center of the most exciting developments taking place downtown, with over $500 million of new development immediately adjacent to and surround the site including:
- Streetcar expansion up Loyola to the Union Passenger Terminal has been completed in connection with a major reconfiguration of the terminal, putting the site directly adjacent to the City's most important transit hub.
- Redevelopment of the 1,193 room Hyatt Hotel brought the main entrance to Loyola and created 200,000 square feet of meeting space with the ability to host large-scale conventions & meetings.
- Opening of Champion's Square sports & entertainment district, directly across Loyola converts the area into a pre-/post-event destination for over 75 Superdome and Arena events each year that attract over 2.5 million visitors.
- Continuing Superdome and Arena upgrades are enhancing both the interior and exterior in preparation for major events including the BCS Championship Series, NCAA Final Four, NBA All-Star Game and future Super Bowls.
- Dozens of exciting new restaurants and entertainment venues have opened surrounding the site including The Civic Theater, Little Gem Saloon, Borgne, St. Marie, Walk-On’s Sports Bar and more.